Steelermania!



Well, last week John and I sat down and watched our first Steelers football game, Steelers v. the San Diego Chargers... and it was a DANG impressive football game. We (the Steelers) are REALLY good! We fell in love with our Quarterback (Ben Roethlisberger.. we finally learned how to pronounce his last name!) and this crazy long-haired guy named "Palamana" (still working on pronouncing his) or something like that. John was so happy because he finally could actually participate in all the conversations that revolve around every facet of the Steeler football team, with his fellow classmates.

We have NEVER seen devotion like this before. Never. Anywhere you go, anytime of the day... whether there's a game playing in the next couple of days or not, people of all shapes, sorts and sizes are wearing Steelers hoodies, t-shirts, hats, sweatshirts... you name it. Every other car is plastered with Steelers stickers. Houses have banners out on their front porches, banners in their windows.. there are homemade signs in their lawns... it is crazy. But, finally last Sunday after the Chargers game... we understood why, and we now are beginning to embrace the mania that surrounds us.

Just as an example of the mania... Pittsburgh's mayor, whose last name is "Ravensdahl" CHANGED HIS LAST NAME LEGALLY to "Steelersdahl" last week as a slap in the face to the Baltimore Ravens who we played against (and beat) last night.

So, now we head to the Super Bowl... I think it's like the 6th time or something like that. John and I will be watching them beat the Arizona Cardinals, proudly wearing our new "Pittsburgh Steelers" t-shirts :)

Comments

Allen said…
I was in San Diego on the day of that game. I saw a ton of people wearing charger's t-shirts. They were totally fired up... But, I don't think they are nearly as crazy as charger's fan. What an intense game

Popular Posts