Birthday thoughts and cheer :)

An hour ago I was dreaming that I had paddled over to the nearby island to tell the new volunteer group that their expedition leader was sick and would be gone for a couple of days. I told them that there was a storm coming in so they needed to get settled and prepared for bad weather and that I would be back in a couple of hours to take them ... (somewhere) to get supplies for the next week. I just realized where all that came from- Survivor, I watched bits and pieces of it last night on TV. How funny. Anyway, John kissed me goodbye about 45 min. ago (yep, 4:15 a.m.) and headed off to work. Sometimes I can fall back to sleep but this morning I started remembering my birthday yesterday and the news that we're having a little girl and all I can think about is dreams that I have for HER, for her life and who she turns out to be. Poor John, at least I don't have to be functionable at 5 a.m.--- he's headed into open heart surgery first thing this morning.

What a wonderful birthday yesterday. Seriously. It might never be topped. It was kind of a risky move to schedule the ultrasound on my birthday. The reason we needed to have it was because something of concern in the baby's bowel showed up about 6 weeks ago, so we've been kind of worrying about it since then. But, we needed to find a day when John could come too, so my birthday it was because he had already taken that day off. Since we hadn't been able to figure out the gender yet, this ultrasound also was pretty exciting and hopeful for a different reason. All I wanted for my birthday presents were to hear that everything was perfectly... perfect, and what the sex was/is. Happily, the concern in the bowel had completely disappeared and our little girl was measured and poked and weighed in at 2 lbs. One of the coolest moments was when we saw her move on the ultrasound and at the same time I felt a big "ker-THUMP" on the inside of my belly.

For the longest time John and I had been thinking "boy". Whenever we refer to the baby, we use "he" and "him". But, when the ultrasound tech (funnest woman to do that job) told us that DEFINITELY she was a little girl, I didn't feel disappointed, I didn't feel anything other than peace and a stillness of absolute love. Gosh, I'm starting to get a little teary eyed just writing this. It just was like a puzzle piece that fit into place. Of course we're having a little girl. And John told me that he has known all along that it was a little girl. :) Really? Really?? And John said that his first thought was about the wedding. Is she going to pick the right guy? Is she going to be happy?... what a cute dad he will be.

So, I've been thinking-- what the heck do I do with a girl? Well, the Lord did not place this precious little spirit into a family that knows a lot to do with a frilly girl who wants to dance around in princess outfits. So, I've just been lying in bed thinking about tutu's and pink outfits and crowns and tea parties. And barbies. I don't know if I can handle barbies. Then I happily realized that I, myself, was not a frilly princess girl and its not a given fact that our little girl will want to be decked out in pink dresses and crowns at age 3. My sister in law, April, was out in the woods hiking around with my neice, Remi, at a young age and they are constantly active with Remi outside. I'm going to follow that lead. I'm going to be hiking with her, playing with leaves, we're going to get tiny Teva sandals, we're going to teach her to swim (she has long legs) and run, John is going to teach her how to rock climb, and have campouts under the stars, and talk about how to take care of God's earthly creations and animals. My brother and April can teach her to kayak and river raft. Now, after all this if she is, indeed, a frilly girl who wants to prance around in pink tutus I GUESS I can handle a little bit of that. I will probably have to find another mom who has a daughter who likes that stuff so that I can learn, because I certainly have zippo experience or enthusiasm for that. Man, how fun though to find out who SHE's going to be! :)

Comments

mathmom said…
Jeanette, you are so cute. You will be a great mom to your little girl, frills or no frills. We had 3 boys before our little girl came along. I thought I would have just preferred to stick to boys, but I would not trade my girls (yep, 2 now) for anything! And, I am not girly at all, but, my daughter is a good trainer. She is the best of both worlds because she can be rough and tough with the boys and hike along with the best of them. But she also loves to have tea parties and dress up as a princess. She just has to teach me how to have them.
The Beckstroms said…
I love reading your blog Jeanette because it reminds me a lot of me. And this post was no different. I remember well telling people, not just one person, but MANY people, that my little girl would NOT ever wear anything pink. I'm laughing as I write this because not only does she insist on pink...pink dresses...everyday, but her room is painted pink, she has a pink teddy bear, she has not 1 but 2 pink coats, and the list goes on and on. It has been a steep learning curve Jeanette but it has been fun, and I love her just as much as if she were a rough and tumble wanna-be boy like her mom. Enjoy the journey because it goes by faster than you think.
liz j said…
Yahoo!! Congratulations! I am so excited for you. You will be an awesome mom to any kind of girl. I will have to laugh out loud, though, if she decides she is a princess in lace and fairy wings. I have two nieces who are SERIOUS princesses. I have seen nearly all the barbie movies with them (I had no idea how many there were).

And Happy Birthday! You are one of the most wonderful people I know. I'm glad the ultrasound news on your big day was happy.
marthab said…
Jeanette, Liz shared your goooood news so I wanted you to know that we are thrilled for you too. What a fun mom you will be!!

Popular Posts