Wanted: Good Book
I am desperate for a new, can't-put-it-down, book to read. Something to keep me entertained when I'm up at all hours of the night. Plus we had a tour of the delivery rooms the other week and they mentioned having things in the room (DVD's, pictures, music, etc...) to keep your mind entertained. I started thinking about how focused I get when I really get into a new book... I might even forget that I'm giving birth! Probably not though.
Plus, here's an example of the other night:
2:30 a.m. -- BING! My eyes open up as if they've been struck by a ray of bright sunlight. But, nope, no sunlight here. I try to tell myself that its 2:30 in the morning... just shut my eyes, breathe deeply, think of rolling green pastures...
2:45 a.m. -- still trying to sleep
3:00 a.m. -- STILL trying to sleep
3:30 a.m. -- go get something to eat, at this point its hopeless .. wonder if I have a new email?... no, I guess not, it seems everyone else is asleep...
4:15 a.m. -- head back to bed, hope that maybe I'll fall asleep due to boredom
4:45 a.m. -- John turns over in bed and hazily opens his eyes and notices that I'm looking at him. "Wh-whut are you doing? Are you awake?" Me (thrilled that he is awake and I have someone to talk to) "Yes, unfortunately I've been awake for the last two hours. Can you believe it?? Are you awake now? How did you sleep? You were jerking around and making some weird noises an hour or so ago and I thought you might be having a bad dream. I was tempted to wake you up just to make sure, you know, you are saved from something if it really is a bad dream, but then I thought maybe it was a good dream and you really might want to experience the whole thing. So, which was it -- a good dream or a bad one??"
John (groggily looking at me like I'm a little mental) - "huh?"
SO... does anyone have any good books that they've read lately that they can recommend? Actually, they don't even need to be read lately, because let's be honest- a good book is timeless. As an idea of the books that I like to read I thought I'd give a couple examples of my favorites:
Survival/ Adventure Books:
"In the Heart of the Sea" by Nathaniel Philbrick
"Touching the Void" by Joe Simpson
Mysteries:
Anything by Mary Higgins Clark
Inspirational/Education Stories:
"Three Cups of Tea" by Greg Mortensen
"And Still we Rise" by Miles Corwin
"The Alchemist" by Paulo Coelho
Thrillers:
Dan Brown books - "The Lost Symbol"
Thank you, in advance, for keeping me entertained.... my husband thanks you too.
Plus, here's an example of the other night:
2:30 a.m. -- BING! My eyes open up as if they've been struck by a ray of bright sunlight. But, nope, no sunlight here. I try to tell myself that its 2:30 in the morning... just shut my eyes, breathe deeply, think of rolling green pastures...
2:45 a.m. -- still trying to sleep
3:00 a.m. -- STILL trying to sleep
3:30 a.m. -- go get something to eat, at this point its hopeless .. wonder if I have a new email?... no, I guess not, it seems everyone else is asleep...
4:15 a.m. -- head back to bed, hope that maybe I'll fall asleep due to boredom
4:45 a.m. -- John turns over in bed and hazily opens his eyes and notices that I'm looking at him. "Wh-whut are you doing? Are you awake?" Me (thrilled that he is awake and I have someone to talk to) "Yes, unfortunately I've been awake for the last two hours. Can you believe it?? Are you awake now? How did you sleep? You were jerking around and making some weird noises an hour or so ago and I thought you might be having a bad dream. I was tempted to wake you up just to make sure, you know, you are saved from something if it really is a bad dream, but then I thought maybe it was a good dream and you really might want to experience the whole thing. So, which was it -- a good dream or a bad one??"
John (groggily looking at me like I'm a little mental) - "huh?"
SO... does anyone have any good books that they've read lately that they can recommend? Actually, they don't even need to be read lately, because let's be honest- a good book is timeless. As an idea of the books that I like to read I thought I'd give a couple examples of my favorites:
Survival/ Adventure Books:
"In the Heart of the Sea" by Nathaniel Philbrick
"Touching the Void" by Joe Simpson
Mysteries:
Anything by Mary Higgins Clark
Inspirational/Education Stories:
"Three Cups of Tea" by Greg Mortensen
"And Still we Rise" by Miles Corwin
"The Alchemist" by Paulo Coelho
Thrillers:
Dan Brown books - "The Lost Symbol"
Thank you, in advance, for keeping me entertained.... my husband thanks you too.
Comments
Anyway, here are some that we really like.
"Rebecca" by Daphne Du Maurier - This is a thriller/mystery/romance. And was made into a movie back in the 40's.
"A Train To Potevka" by Mike Ramsdell - A true thrilling story by an LDS man.
We've recently been reading quite a few fantasy books here at our house so I'm a little low on suggestions in other generes. Hope those help! Happy reading and good luck!
Sarah :)
I'm always on the lookout for a good book, too. I just read the other comments. I read "These is My Words" a while back and remember that I really liked it.
I recently read "The Kite Runner" and liked that a lot.
You probably saw on my blog that I recommended "Left to Tell." It's a bit graphic in parts, but was very good - hard to put down.
My sister shared this blog with me, and it has given me some good ideas. The blogger is an avid reader and summarizes and rates books. She also has the "If you liked this book, you might also like..." feature going. The site is www.goodcleanreads.blogspot.com.
Good luck!
Oh, and I love your cute pregnant belly!!!