Starved Rock

Well, John got a burst of spontaneity this weekend and suggested that we get out of town and experience the one hiking area that we have heard of here in Illinois. Starved Rock State Park. It's named after some warring Indian tribes in which one tribe surrounded the other on top of this rock until those tribal members starved to death. Anyway, we have been asking people around here where is there a place to go HIKING, where are there any mountains... we would even take any hills. Finally we start hearing people tell us about Starved Rock.

Me, not being one to turn down an adventure was totally up for a spur of the moment road trip! And to my happy surprise the kids both did great in the car! Hayden was happy as a clam watching her movies and Connor did fabulous! He's finally relented to the car seat and has just fallen asleep, for awhile he would cry and cry and scream and I seriously worried about any trips in the car with him. But, in the past few weeks he has given in and it was a wonderful trip!

It does our heart and spirit good to get back out into nature, we've missed it sooooo much!!










On our trip, John and I are always amused to see the strange town names that we pass by. I mean, we live in "Lake in the Hills" (everyone just shortens to LITH) which I always have to explain to people is really the name of where we live. But, on our way to Starved Rock we passed "Normal" and "Sandwich" and my favorite, "Paw Paw". I decided that I was glad to live in "Lake in the Hills" instead of "Paw Paw, IL"!

Connor has been all smiles, and man has he got a great smile! It's hard to catch him because just like Hayden was, he gets curious about the camera and there goes the smile :) But, I managed to catch a couple and plus you can see his gorgeous blue eyes!!



And the other day Hayden was insisting that I put Connor in her little baby stroller so she could take him for a walk. So, we stuffed the poor kid in there and I let her wheel him around for a few minutes. She was tickled.... him, not so much!

Comments

Great times, Jeanette! I love keeping up on you and your beautiful family!
liz j said…
How fun!! I went to Starved Rock once while we were out there. Completely forgot about. Beautiful place.

Connor does have an AWESOME smile. Love you guys!

Popular Posts