A surprise in the garage
The other day I was heading to work, we hear a loud banging around in the garage, Simba runs through the cat door totally spooked. John and I go investigate and do hear something banging around and we figure its another cat who has snuck into our garage and was looking for our cat food. I leave it for John to deal with and head to work.
John calls around 9:30 a.m. and tells me that its a FERRET and that he is making lost and found posters to post around the neighborhood. After a round of showdown-type action in the garage, he finally captured it into our cat carrier. And, kindly, gave it some food and water in dishes and a soft bed for it to sleep in. Here's what it looked like.

It looks a little freaky, it really was kind of cute. But, oh baby, did it STINK !!!
Well, John spends the day calling animal control and the humane society and finally talks to someone at a "ferret rescue shelter" in Layton. Question: Are there so many loose ferrets that we need a "ferret rescue shelter"? Apparently. I had no idea. They tell him that if he brings it up to them then they will take it to a "lovely little place" up in Idaho. I have to admit, it sounded a little sadistic.
At some point in all his phone calls, he talks to a biologist who upon hearing John's description of it, declares that it's not a ferret at all, in fact, it's a MINK. A wild mink. The biologist says that we really have 3 choices. 1) Call animal control, they will kill it. 2) Call one of the mink farms in the area, they will kill it and turn it into a coat. Or 3) take it to this ravine in Alpine and let it loose. He promised John it would survive. It did look pretty healthy. Well, we really didn't have a choice, did we. And I already asked John if we could keep it and he said NO, so #3 was the only choice.
But, it was so cute. I put my finger on the outside of the carrier, and it put its little paw up and just rested it on my hand!! And it kept yawning and then would curl back up in the little bed John had made and go back to sleep. It was so cute, I wanted to hold it so bad. But, the thought of rabi shots (and John said I couldn't touch him ever again) made me restrain myself.
So, say a little prayer that our friend, "Steve" as John has christened him, survives the winter just fine and lives to ..... well, do whatever minks do.
John calls around 9:30 a.m. and tells me that its a FERRET and that he is making lost and found posters to post around the neighborhood. After a round of showdown-type action in the garage, he finally captured it into our cat carrier. And, kindly, gave it some food and water in dishes and a soft bed for it to sleep in. Here's what it looked like.
It looks a little freaky, it really was kind of cute. But, oh baby, did it STINK !!!
Well, John spends the day calling animal control and the humane society and finally talks to someone at a "ferret rescue shelter" in Layton. Question: Are there so many loose ferrets that we need a "ferret rescue shelter"? Apparently. I had no idea. They tell him that if he brings it up to them then they will take it to a "lovely little place" up in Idaho. I have to admit, it sounded a little sadistic.
At some point in all his phone calls, he talks to a biologist who upon hearing John's description of it, declares that it's not a ferret at all, in fact, it's a MINK. A wild mink. The biologist says that we really have 3 choices. 1) Call animal control, they will kill it. 2) Call one of the mink farms in the area, they will kill it and turn it into a coat. Or 3) take it to this ravine in Alpine and let it loose. He promised John it would survive. It did look pretty healthy. Well, we really didn't have a choice, did we. And I already asked John if we could keep it and he said NO, so #3 was the only choice.
But, it was so cute. I put my finger on the outside of the carrier, and it put its little paw up and just rested it on my hand!! And it kept yawning and then would curl back up in the little bed John had made and go back to sleep. It was so cute, I wanted to hold it so bad. But, the thought of rabi shots (and John said I couldn't touch him ever again) made me restrain myself.
So, say a little prayer that our friend, "Steve" as John has christened him, survives the winter just fine and lives to ..... well, do whatever minks do.
Comments
Glad you two are so humane!