The Magic of an Ultrasound

Well, on Tuesday John and I saw our regular OB-GYN and we were able to hear the little "thump thump thump" of a heart beat. It was very cool, but I had an anxiety attack about something the doctor had just told me and my blood pressure was super high so I was a little freaked out, so... I didn't get to revel in the miraculous-ness of that moment the way I should of. But, John did. He was super excited and said that that was the moment that he realized that his entire life had changed forever. Awwwww... :)

Then today we had to meet with another doctor up at a fancy/high-tech hospital up in Pittsburgh (which I was very impressed with the doctor and we have decided to move all our pre-natal care to that hospital-which sets my anxiety down several hundred notches)and he let me express my concerns about the care I had been recieving and answered all my medical/diabetes questions. Then at the end, I mentioned that I had thought we were going to get an ultrasound done this afternoon but I had totally misunderstood and could we make an appt.... and since it was the end of the day and there was a room open, the doctor just swooped us right in, lifted my shirt, squirted on some cold jelly and jabbed a wand down into my bladder... area.

THAT WAS AMAZING!! I'd never known before that you can see a baby MOVE AROUND on an ultrasound. I guess because I've only seen pictures, I never thought about the fact that I would see him/her move. It was so amazing. Clear as day. Big head, big belly, long legs that were kicking around like riding a bicycle. It took my breath away. We could see the long, straight spinal cord and the bones in the legs. Then he laid over on his side (just like John and I sleep) and the doctor spoke loudly to my belly,"Hey Baby, wake up in there! I've got to take some measurements!" So then he kicked around his little feet in protest to all the hard pushing. It was just simply amazing.

Afterwards all the worrying that I had been feeling about whether or not the baby was healthy and normal seemed to melt away. I know that he/she at least has 1) a head, 2) a belly 3) a beating heart and 4) two very active legs. John said, "Well, it looks like we have a soccer player" and I said, "No. It looks like we have a backstroker!" :)

Much love to all!

Comments

starli said…
Ohhhh that is SO cute! I love that you love the new doctor, that means everything when your confused and worried about so much. Did you get any pics from the ultrasound??? So so fun and exciting!

Popular Posts