The Secret is OUT
Well, it is 6 a.m. and I have (of course) been awake now for 2 hours. And I was laying in bed thinking about all the things that I never knew about pregnancy. Things that people don't tell you about. I had NO idea. I am going to "out" some of these secrets, the less disturbing ones anyway. For my friends who haven't been pregnant yet.
#1- Sleeping. For a while my awake time every night was from 2 a.m. to 5 a.m. (now its 4 am to 6 am) It didn't matter that I had taken a sleeping pill at 10 p.m. the night before. Like clockwork, 2 a.m. would hit and I would suddenly open my eyes ready for the day. I think in the beginning it was mostly because of nausea and I would have to eat a pop tart over the side of the bed, hoping that would help me to get back to sleep. Then after talking to Marcy (who's one week ahead of me in pregnancy) and Gabe (who's 2 months ahead of me) I was shocked to find out that they are on the SAME sleep schedule! 2 a.m to 5 a.m. Marcy's routine is to get up, go fix a quesadilla and watch whatever movie is on TNT or TLC. Gabe gets up, has something to eat and watches all the TV shows she has TiVo'd in the past day or two. After I found out that is apparently... common (!) I suggested we all meet each other for a 2 a.m. meal and a movie each night. I mean, as long as we're all UP... Gabe told me that it is the way that our body prepares for nightly feedings. To me, it is just bizarre. It doesn't stop me from laying there for 2 (or more) hours, listening to my sweet husband breathe deeply, wishing that I was breathing deeply too.
#2 - Belching. I could win a contest. Boys would have no chance. I never used to be a big belcher, but all of a sudden.. grow a human inside of me and I could out-belch a 300 pound man from Sweden and take home the blue ribbon. John used to be impressed but now I think he's hoping that this is not a new, permanent attribute of my personality. I, too, hope that I return to my more demure and feminine ways.
#3 - I am slowly turning into a tripod. This is not a secret, but I have been thinking about it the past couple of hours. I am a side-sleeper. I flip from one side to the other. Now that my belly is becoming bigger and bigger-it requires a lot more effort. I have to... rock, rock... ROCK before I can roll over to my other side. And couple that with the fact that I now have to have my outside leg propped up on a pillow so that I don't squish my stomach, I have to rock, rock, rock to the other side and then drag my pillow over and re-position. Mix in a few of those per hour and an hourly bathroom break, and it really is no wonder I'm up at 4 a.m wondering about how many cars (unbelieveable, what are people UP to?) are driving past our house at 4 a.m. (maybe I have a stalker) And I have noticed that in order to get out of a car now, or get up from the couch, I have to angle out my legs to 120 degrees and then it is helpful to have someone give me a little (just a little) pull from straight out in front. Yes, sometimes it seems I am growing a third leg... its just not long and thin enough to actually do me a lot of good.
And the other thing I was just thinking about is my husband, John. This is actually a sweet thing. As I am becoming bigger, John will come home from work or school and he will stop and BEAM at me and say, "oooohhh, your belly is getting a little bigger!" Normally... I mean, what woman wants to hear your dear honey of a husband say that to you, but then I look in his eyes and he is just filled with pure happiness and love. And a bit of pride. I think deep down there is still that little boy that wants to point at me and then turn to his friends and say, "See that?? I DID THAT"
#1- Sleeping. For a while my awake time every night was from 2 a.m. to 5 a.m. (now its 4 am to 6 am) It didn't matter that I had taken a sleeping pill at 10 p.m. the night before. Like clockwork, 2 a.m. would hit and I would suddenly open my eyes ready for the day. I think in the beginning it was mostly because of nausea and I would have to eat a pop tart over the side of the bed, hoping that would help me to get back to sleep. Then after talking to Marcy (who's one week ahead of me in pregnancy) and Gabe (who's 2 months ahead of me) I was shocked to find out that they are on the SAME sleep schedule! 2 a.m to 5 a.m. Marcy's routine is to get up, go fix a quesadilla and watch whatever movie is on TNT or TLC. Gabe gets up, has something to eat and watches all the TV shows she has TiVo'd in the past day or two. After I found out that is apparently... common (!) I suggested we all meet each other for a 2 a.m. meal and a movie each night. I mean, as long as we're all UP... Gabe told me that it is the way that our body prepares for nightly feedings. To me, it is just bizarre. It doesn't stop me from laying there for 2 (or more) hours, listening to my sweet husband breathe deeply, wishing that I was breathing deeply too.
#2 - Belching. I could win a contest. Boys would have no chance. I never used to be a big belcher, but all of a sudden.. grow a human inside of me and I could out-belch a 300 pound man from Sweden and take home the blue ribbon. John used to be impressed but now I think he's hoping that this is not a new, permanent attribute of my personality. I, too, hope that I return to my more demure and feminine ways.
#3 - I am slowly turning into a tripod. This is not a secret, but I have been thinking about it the past couple of hours. I am a side-sleeper. I flip from one side to the other. Now that my belly is becoming bigger and bigger-it requires a lot more effort. I have to... rock, rock... ROCK before I can roll over to my other side. And couple that with the fact that I now have to have my outside leg propped up on a pillow so that I don't squish my stomach, I have to rock, rock, rock to the other side and then drag my pillow over and re-position. Mix in a few of those per hour and an hourly bathroom break, and it really is no wonder I'm up at 4 a.m wondering about how many cars (unbelieveable, what are people UP to?) are driving past our house at 4 a.m. (maybe I have a stalker) And I have noticed that in order to get out of a car now, or get up from the couch, I have to angle out my legs to 120 degrees and then it is helpful to have someone give me a little (just a little) pull from straight out in front. Yes, sometimes it seems I am growing a third leg... its just not long and thin enough to actually do me a lot of good.
And the other thing I was just thinking about is my husband, John. This is actually a sweet thing. As I am becoming bigger, John will come home from work or school and he will stop and BEAM at me and say, "oooohhh, your belly is getting a little bigger!" Normally... I mean, what woman wants to hear your dear honey of a husband say that to you, but then I look in his eyes and he is just filled with pure happiness and love. And a bit of pride. I think deep down there is still that little boy that wants to point at me and then turn to his friends and say, "See that?? I DID THAT"
Comments