sleep? what sleep??!



I love this picture, look at her cute little face! :)



I am happy to report that there are THREE people living at our house now! :) Halleluyah! As of Monday afternoon, Hayden was officially discharged from the hospital. I have to admit, as John and I were driving off we felt a little as if we had stolen a child and we were going to get in trouble. We had to keep reminding ourselves that she is, indeed, ours and that no one was after us. Although I did see John sneaking a lot of looks in the rearview mirror! :)

We are all doing well, although it is still a whirlwind. Her 2nd day here saw a visit from a Home Nurse who stopped by to weigh her, check her vitals and answer the long list of questions I had -- mostly about burping, breastfeeding, not eating enough, should she sleep on an incline??, yeah, it was a long list!). Then, today we headed out for our first outing together to see her new pediatrician, who we really liked. I also had a long list (a NEW long list) of questions for her too.

This afternoon John and I did her first nose suctioning out with that horrendous bulb thing. It was necessary and she was much happier after, but ugh... poor thing!



I am realizing that every two hours involves a whole new cycle of 1) trying to breast feed, then 2) feeding her, and trying to burp her (she is not a good burper, John and I will spend 30-45 min trying -- any advice?), then 3) me breast pumping for 30 min. then cleaning all the apparatus, 4) putting Hayden down to sleep 5) trying like mad to get just a couple of things done and 6) starting all over again.

I finally took a shower for the first time in 3 days this afternoon.... YIPPPEEEE!!

Love her! Yay for Hayden!



Comments

Sarah Shelley said…
Yay for showers!!! Just know it's all good! Someone once told me that you could put the child on your lap and rub their back gently to help with burping. I think I did it a couple of times with Miles. He, however, is very much like his father and has no trouble with the burping. Just tell Hayden that it is lady-like at this time in her life. ;) Glad to hear all is going well!
Katie said…
Jeanette, Breastfeeding was really tough for me with my first. I'm sure in many ways it's tough for any new mother, especially for you with a little preemie. Just keep doing it. Practice truly makes for perfection and the experience you will have doing it will be one of your most priceless possessions, only you will be able to have that special time with her. Just remember that it's worth it and that it will get easier. It's only been a couple days. pretty soon it will be like riding a bike. You'll do Great! She is beautiful by the way and I can't wait to see her. All our love your way.
mathmom said…
Thanks for all the adorable pictures. My kids were really tough to get to burp too, so I'm not much help. I did use Mylicon drops with Lily and it made a HUGE difference. You can buy it over the counter, and it just helps with gas. It was honestly a life saver. And, hang in there with breast feeding. My first was in NICU for a week and it was a bit tough going. People say it just takes a few days to get things figured out, but it was a pain to me for over two months! We did figure it out in the end and it was worth it. But, it wasn't short. I hope things keep going well!
LuAnn said…
She is really cute! Just remember it's all worth it. Kids are the best!
A Little Sass said…
She is so tiny and so cute! I think she looks so much like John. Obviously I am not going to have any advise ... but know that I am thinking of you. She really is so dang cute! Here is to a long how shower! :)
Jeanette & John, congrats on the beautiful little girl. I am so glad she is home with you, that must feel fantastic. She is so beautiful! Hope you and baby are healthy and strong. I predict # 2 in a year and a half.
Jeanette & John, congrats on the beautiful little girl. I am so glad she is home with you, that must feel fantastic. She is so beautiful! Hope you and baby are healthy and strong. I predict # 2 in a year and a half.
marthab said…
Jeanette: She is a beauty! Don't worry about getting a thing or two done. It will all wait. Catch any sleep time you can. If you feed her and get a bit of sleep for yourself and a shower now and then. You will be a BIG SUCCESS!! Everything else can wait. Just my 2 cents worth! Congratulations.....
liz j said…
I was going to say that I totally agree with that last person - oh wait! That's my mom! Now I REALLY agree. Seriously, she is the baby whisperer.

As for how alike our experiences have been? Pretty much the same. Nursing was such an awful pain for a good long while. But today I was looking down at my little one eating and realized that nothing hurt whatsoever. Even when he wrestles the boob! Hooray! Hang in there. You are doing awesome!! (I have had friends who took to nursing after a week or two, but I was in and out of pain for four months. Everybody has their own road. I still think it was worth it but don't at all judge anyone who opts for the bottle.)

Burping? Good luck. Sometimes I couldn't get him to burp and I couldn't stay awake. So I propped us up so he was upright in my arms and couldn't fall (got pretty creative). When he did finally burp it was an old man at the bar sort of eruption.
OH Jeanette, I am so happy for you! She is beautiful and I know what you mean about being sleep deprived!
Our little guy was born on the 27th and he's a good and calm baby, it's his brothers that are causing us to lose sleep!

Popular Posts