Back at the NICU



*** I will try and post updates every couple of days under the comment section of this post.

Our precious little girl is back at the NICU. The last 4 or 5 days have been terrifying for us and we are in the middle of it all, waiting, praying that things will get better for Hayden soon.

Last Friday night I was up with Hayden from 2 am until 6 am and Hayden would repeat a pattern of where she would stop breathing, go completely limp, then after 5-10 sec she would arch her back, throw her head back, take a huge gasp of air, then cry, breathe rapidly, then her breathing would slow... she would be calm for a few minutes, then her breathing would stop again and the whole pattern would start all over again. It was scary and on top of that she was totally congested and I was worried that all of that was due to her being so congested that she couldn't breathe. I woke John up at 5:30 am in a panic and he came in and listened to her heart and lungs (they sounded fine), he took her temperature (it was 98.2) and he suctioned out her nose. She seemed to calm down and went to sleep. So, we let her sleep in her room while listening to her on our baby monitor.



Also, one piece to mention is that we have been keeping Hayden out public places and basically sequestering her until she gets big enough to no longer be at risk of getting severly sick. Poor John came home from the hospital last Thursday with a severe cold and congestion. There was an anesthesiologist that had been sick at work on Wed. and coughed all over everything. John was terrified that he would get Hayden sick so he had stayed away from her and if he was around her, he wore a surgical mask and purelled his hands incessantly.



Saturday afternoon Kathy (John's mom) was holding Hayden and noticed that Hayden had this really bad, deep cough. That was it, I called the pediatrician's office, who passed us to a triage nurse and she told us to head to the hospital. So, Sat. night we ended up at the ER at Children's Hospital in Pittsburg. They ran a ton of tests on Hayden: blood tests, urine tests, spinal fluid tests, checked for RSV and Flu, a CT scan to check her brain for problems, x-rays to check her heart, and they put about 100 probes on her head to check for seizures. They checked us into the NICU that night and that's where Hayden has been since now. The poor thing has been poked and prodded and cried her eyes out, but the worst of all the testing is over.

Everything has come back negative and so far the verdict seems to be that she has a combination of reflux, a urinary tract infection and a cold. Her cough and congestion has gotten much worse over the past couple of days and she is still having these non-breathing episodes. They have started her on medications for the reflux that take 5-7 days to really start working. We just have to wait out the cold (which we have now found out is pnuemonia) but we're hoping that that will resolve itself in another couple of days too.



It has been really hard for John, I and Kathy to see Hayden like this. Sick. We keep praying that the worst is over and the next day will be better. We are trying stay positive and optimistic. You know the funny thing is is that yesterday (March 2) was Hayden's due date. I just re-read over this, and I apologize if it sounds so... dramatic. I'm sure that Hayden will be fine. John gave her a blessing and we both keep telling ourselves that it is just going to take a few days for her to fight her way through this. She is a strong little girl.

Please pray for her.
love,
John & Jeanette

Comments

mathmom said…
I will keep you in my prayers. Hang in there Jeanette! Hayden is a little fighter. Just keep giving her all that love.
Sarah Shelley said…
I hate sick little ones. Especially when they are so little that you can't really do anything for them. You are all in our prayers. Keep up the positive thinking...surely this will pass. ;)
Julie said…
I am so sorry to hear that all this is happening! It is so hard to enjoy everything about having a new baby when you are terrified about their well-being! I pray that she continues to do better each day!

P.S. Jeanette, if you are reading this you are probably wondering who I am...I am a friend of John's from H.S. We used to live next door to each other...

Anywoo, Good Luck with everything and we are sending hugs your way!
Kacey said…
oh no! get well soon little hayden :(
Jeanette said…
UPDATE 3/3/10: We had another chest x-ray done today after hearing her horrible, hacking cough and seeing her labor so hard to breathe -- to find out that she has viral pneumonia. We are very worried about her, we keep hoping that tomorrow will be a better day. I fear this will be a long stay at the hospital.
Oh, Jeanette! I hate when our children are so sick. I almost cried when I read this because I can hear your worry and fears in your words.

Keep us posted. You are in our prayers. XOXO JODY
The Beckstroms said…
My heart is breaking for you guys! I cannot imagine what you are going through but I do have a small idea because I remember how I felt when Taryn had pnuemonia, strep and an ear infection right before Annie was born (remember my panicked call to John??). I just remember that helpless feeling of wanting to take it all away but just having to wait and try to keep her comfortable. You are in our thoughts and prayers and I know she will pull through this. She has shown us all that she is a fighter!
LuAnn said…
I am so sorry Hayden is sick. I always hate it when my kids are sick. It is a very helpless feeling. I'm sure she will get better soon, sounds like you have her in a good place.
LuAnn said…
I am so sorry Hayden is sick. I always hate it when my kids are sick. It is a very helpless feeling. I'm sure she will get better soon, sounds like you have her in a good place.
Erin said…
My goodness... I am so sorry that you have had this stress wearing on you. Nothing is worse than watching your child suffer. You are ALL always in our prayers!
Jeanette said…
3/4/2010 ******Update****** So after a 1 hour conversation with the attending doctor we have a bit more info. She DOES NOT have pneumonia. We were told wrong about the chest x-ray. We still don't know what she has but all the tests are coming back negative. For now acid reflux is the proposed culpret. Thanks for your prayers and support.
starli said…
we are so glad to hear that she does not have viral pneumonia. So scarry. We are so sorry that you guys are having to go through all this - I know I would be a basketcase if it were me. We love you all so much and hope she gets better soon! Thanks for the updates! Love you!
Jeanette said…
UPDATE 3/5/10: This is so frustrating! Last night we got a call at midnight saying that they retested Hayden and she tests positive for RSV. Today John and I went in for rounds w/docs. For now they are supporting her and waiting for her body to fight the illness. So, is it still reflux or not??? No one knows. Today, though, was the first day that I actually saw a small improvement in Hayden. I'm scared to get my hopes up... but they are.
liz j said…
Oh good gravy. I'm so sorry you guys. You are very much in our prayers. Hayden, being the daughter of two tenacious people, will totally fight this! You are wonderful parents and she is lucky to have you! And I'm sure she's in good hands. I'm thrilled to hear that she seems the tiniest better today. Hang in there. I agree with Sarah; this will pass.

Besos y abrazos. Love you!
liz j said…
Thought about you all night. Hope Hayden and all of you are doing well this morning.
Jeanette said…
UPDATE 3/7/10: Well, I am SO HAPPY!! Today Hayden was tons better! I held her for about an hour and she was looking at me, playing with her tongue and holding my finger. Her breathing is better and she is regaining her strength. I am so happy! Thank you for your prayers and friendship, we have felt them and they have given us strength.
Amy Lisa said…
So glad to hear she is doing better! Hope you guys are getting some rest. Let us know her progress, k? Infinite prayers coming your way from PG.
Love you babe.
Jeanette said…
UPDATE 3/10/10***** So far, so good! She's making improvements rapidly! Last week at this time she had an IV, feeding tube, was under a plastic box for humidity, a nose breathing tube... and now she's off of all those things and eating on her own again. We still haven't been given a date that they will discharge her, but it's gotta be soon. Its so wonderful to see her personality return, yippeee!!
The Beckstroms said…
Jeanette, This is wonderful news! We have been so worried about you guys. Make sure you keep taking good care of yourselves too. Love you tons and the prayers are still going up for you. Love you guys!
Jeanette said…
UPDATE: 3/12/10***** Today is the day that Hayden comes home! She has been doing great, still has a bit of a lingering cough, but her personality is back and she looks great. They are sending us home with a monitor for a month. It will continuously read her heart rate and oxygen levels. Kind of a pain just because its a big box that attaches to her with wires, but it will provide me with a bit of comfort b/c I won't (that's the idea anyway) hover over her to watch to see if she's breathing. John and i can't wait to have her home, and not have to make the hour drive into Pittsburgh each day! :)
Kacey said…
hooray! welcome home hayden!
liz j said…
Hooray! Are the wires taped on or something? I'm totally ignorant, sorry.
Jeanette said…
Lizzie-- fortunately, no, they're not taped on. They are just plastic pads that house the wires, they fit on either side of her torso, under her arms. They are attached by velcro, to a belt that goes around her body. I don't really know how it works other than it continually reads every heart beat and every time she breathes. Kind of a pain though :( it has alarmed falsely at least a couple of times each night. Its a horrible screeching alarm and scares John & I to death. But, again, its always been a false alarm-- usually due to her wiggling around and moving those wires. *sigh* hopefully its only for a month.
LuAnn said…
So what did they finally decide she had? I'm glad she is home. Hope she recovers quickly.
The Beckstroms said…
So glad she is finally back home where she belongs! Here's hoping the machine goes away quickly. Love ya!

Popular Posts