Colic

Our poor little Hayden keeps struggling along. I can only imagine that she is going to be one tough little cookie at the end of all this. In the past 3/4 weeks, along with developing lactose intolerance, she has become quite colicky. It seems like at night its the hardest and everything catches up with her. She can be dead asleep and then wake up shrieking mad and then its several hours before John and I can calm her down enough.

Does anyone have any suggestions? And any words of encouragement? There are times when I just don't know what to do anymore and I just break down in tears. People keep telling me that it won't last forever, but I just wish that I had a date to hold onto to know that things will settle down by... "x" date. I talked to the doctors this morning and they said that really Hayden is just 5 weeks old, even though chronologically she's 3 months old. And yesterday I was reading a book (Happiest baby on the block) that said that colick starts in premies 2 weeks after her due date (Mar 2) and peaks at 6 weeks and then is typically over by 3 months.

So, that means that John and I have to tough it out for another 7 weeks... right??? Did any of you have colicky babies? How long did the colick last? Did you ever figure out what caused the colick? How to soothe it?

Poor little thing, I just wish I could make life easier for her! :(

Comments

the Cory family said…
Alyssa was colicky. It was horrible. I know how you feel. For Alyssa, things didn't get better until she was about 8 months...that is the extreme. Most babies are better by 3 months. Brandon even broke his foot because we had to bounce her a special way. I cried a lot and nothing helped. All I can say is that it just took time and now Alyssa is the sweetest thing ever. Tyson wasn't like that at all...so there is hope. I know you don't want to get out of the house much because of all she has been through, but try to get out. That was the best thing for me.
Julie said…
I am so sorry for you!! I promise it will get better...it seems like when it rains it pours...It can be so emotionally draining to be going through so much at the same time....Noelle used to be really fussy like that and I would turn on the Vacuum and that would usually calm her down even if it took a little while it ALWAYS worked! Love that book "happiest baby on the block" try swaddling! It works so well..My little Jillian is 5 months old and I still swaddle her at night...Some people say that their babies don't like it because they try to get out of it but every dr. I talked to said that is not the case and that they can't control what their arms are doing always and that they feel safe when they are bundled! In the book "happiest baby on the block" I think he also talks about that...Personally I think it works wonders and I have done it with all my kids especially when they are tired and fussy...I also have a fan or some sort of white noise going in their rooms to help them sleep and drown out some of the noise that might wake them up normally....Also works like a charm for me...Good luck and hang in there...You are doing great and she will grow out of all this and it will be even better than it is now...I know I should be taking my own advice on this, but do something for yourself, take time out...you will be refreshed and feel so much better to have that little break, and be able to enter the situation with a clear mind and a renewed energy!! In the rare chance I do that I always tell myself it is something I should do more often!!!
Katie Hutson said…
We haven't dealt with Colic but I remember Eli getting pretty fussy at 2 months old and a friend suggested holding him tummy out/face out and rocking/swaying a bit side to side. He calmed down quickly when we held him that way. Certain ways you hold her might help a little...I bet you've already figured out her fav. ways to be held though...hang in there!
The Beckstroms said…
I agree with Julie on the swaddling thing. Taryn was pretty colicky and swaddling worked wonders. We also lifted the end of the crib where her head was. You have to lift the whole crib though, you can't prop the mattress or the baby because of suffocation dangers. We just put a couple 2x4's underneath one end. It helped a lot. And for Annie the magic was in her blanket. She had to be swaddled tight and her face had to be touching the magic, pink, soft blanket. She still can't sleep without that blanket. Good Luck Jeanette! I wish I could be there to help spell you!
Ali said…
When Madeline was born she had colic. The doctor told me that at that time (2 years ago) there had been a study done in Italy that said that probiotics can help with colic. We tried that with Madeline and within 2 days she was better. You can get the probiotic granuals at a pharmacy behind the counter (it has to be refrigerated) or you can get drops at a health food store. We had to add the granuals (1/2 tsp) to one bottle a day (either breastmilk or formula) for 10 days. You can ask your pediatrician about it, but I wouldn't guarantee that every doctor knows about it since it was done in Italy. It really did work though and I would advise you to try it if you feel it is a good idea. If you want to ask me more, you can e-mail or call me.
Jeanette said…
Thanks to all of you who posted suggestions and advice, as well as called and emailed. They were a tremendous comfort, it is so nice to know you're not alone! We have tried a lot of your suggestions, except for the pro-biotics-- but I'm on it! We have had 4 good nights so far, we still had a hour screamfest last night, but 1 hour is SO MUCH BETTER than 3 or 4 hours and we're hoping that we just keep heading in this direction!!

Popular Posts