Lights out!

One of the things that we've learned about Western PA is that there are a million power-outs! I think that since we've moved here (2 years in August, CANNOT believe it!) we've had at least 5 power outs. The last time we had to resort to breaking out our camping stove and cooking up some grilled cheese sandwiches, but it is a little scarier when you have a newborn and you don't know how long you'll be without power.



Last week we had a terrible storm blow through, you could hear the wind howling and then all of a sudden you felt the wind hit the building like a ton of bricks. And then the sheets of rain came and we watched the trees bend and twist. But, in 15 min. it was all over and the blue skies were out again. But, no power. We got out and walked around and about 100 feet away from our house, in our neighborhood this huge tree had been severed by the wind and had collapsed across the road. Thankfully it didn't hit a house.



John is pretty smart and reminded me that trees out here don't have super deep roots because they don't need to search very far to get water. Whereas out west, the roots have to go down really deep in the hunt for water and therefore a lot stronger than the trees out here. It was crazy how many 100 plus foot trees were completely destroyed by the wind.

In other news, our ducks have returned!! Margie and O'Malley... for those of you who remember that these two ducks appeared last summer and enjoyed the fresh water and food I left for them so much that they nested. Well, they returned and are more trusting than ever. They will come right up to the sliding door in the kitchen and pear inside until I go out and get them some more food.. They also let John and I stand about 6 inches away from them while they're eating. No fear!!





And, one last picture. This is Christi, she has been my lifesaver with Hayden. She loves to come over and just sit and play and hold Hayden and it allows me to get some much needed and missed sleep. I can't thank her enough, she has been an angel to me and to Hayden!





O.k. I lied. One more picture... maybe more :) Hayden is just so stinkin' cute I can't resist.





And John is having too much fun with her... one of these days she will get him back :)

Comments

LuAnn said…
She is so cute!

Popular Posts