Start of new school year

Well, John went through orientation today and I was thrilled to see not anxiety and fear in his eyes, but excitement, confidence and happiness. He seems at peace with everything that is happening and where he is. Which is wonderful to see. He finished orientation and then I met him and all of his classmates and their families (as well as students from the two classes ahead of them and their families) at a big picnic. It really was a neat afternoon and the feeling was one of complete comradery and a sense of.... family.

It really is such a blessing that there are two other families here from Utah that are also in our same ward. It gives John an instant circle of friends, study group buddies and fellow commuters. We are worried about one of them and his wife, they are still trying to sell their house in Utah and are having to pay a $2300 mortgage payment every month. Today at the picnic I was talking to them and I could see the strain of that stress on their faces. What a blessing that our house sold!

Howard is one of the program directors and teaches several of the classes. He is a big guy... probably 6' 5" and 300 lbs. VERY friendly and outgoing. John said that it caught him off guard this morning in orientation when Howard turned to him and said that the Anesthesia program only allows students to bring ONE wife, so he asked which wife John brought with him.... John said he quickly quipped, "My favorite one". Awwwwwwwww! At the picnic Howard was teasing John (and the other LDS students about all of their wives) and I told him that I was able to come because I beat all the other wives in an arm wrestling contest. Howard confided to us later that he only teases his favorites. Like I said, it is nice to be around such warm and welcoming people.

Tomorrow and the rest of the week we are looking forward to all the storms that are headed our way from the remains of Hurricane Fay. John and I have been anxiously awaiting our first big thunder storm, we bought our first "Gustbuster" umbrellas today as well.

Well, we're off to bed. I've got another busy day of..... oh, wait a minute, I don't have a job..... and I'm LOVING it!!! :)

Comments

Popular Posts