Trying new things



Yes, she is getting chunky! :) Oh so cute, but chunky!

John has been spending a lot of time in the state of Ohio, working at a maternity hospital. Its been a great experience, all he does on his 24 hour shifts is epidurals and spinal blocks (for c-sections), so he is getting a tremendous learning and challenging experience. It has been filled with a lot of happiness and joy at watching new babies come into this world to parents who are overjoyed, but he has also seen tremendous sadness with stillborns and children who are born to parents who are not prepared to care for them well. I guess those are the two extremes you deal with when you work full time labor & delivery. For John though, the lows have affected him quite a bit and I don't think he will end up choosing a job that deals exclusively with labor and delivery.

While John has been away, I have been busy with Hayden. She is a darling little girl, however we are regressing in her ability to nap happily. I was so excited because I had gotten her used to taking naps and she would go down without a lot of fussing for a couple of two hour naps a day. Last week something switched though and now its this big production and she wakes the minute I put her down and will cry pretty loudly until I pick her back up. I do my best to let her cry, but after 20-30 min. I just can't help it and go back in to rock her back to sleep. So, as a result she's only sleeping 20 min. at a time and I can tell the lack of daytime sleep is hurting her. So, onto next week, I'm going to try and get back to a better nap routine and try to work through it again. Wish me luck!!

We also have tried to get her used to eating with a spoon. What an adventure!! I never knew how hard this would be to learn! She just wants to lick it out of the spoon, not realizing the spoon goes UNDER her tongue and then once its in there, she has to SWALLOW it! :) In the video below, when she is laughing, she is laughing at me opening my mouth to try and show her what she's supposed to be doing. What fun :)

Comments

the Cory family said…
Yes, the nap thing and solid food thing take time. Just keep at them and it will eventually click!
Jennie said…
How fun to see that video! Things will get better again. Sometimes when they are working on a new skill like eating solids they will regress in another like napping. You did it once, you can do it again!

Popular Posts